The Utah Physical Activity and Nutrition (U-PAN) Plan 2010-2020 (PDF) is the end result of a statewide collaboration to identify activities to promote healthy eating and increase physical activity. These activities are designed with the goal of reducing overweight and obesity and their associated chronic diseases. Partners involved with U-PAN have been meeting on an annual basis at a forum to discuss progress on activities related to the following six areas:
- Increase physical activity
- Increase the consumption of fruit and vegetables
- Decrease the consumption of sugar sweetened beverages
- Increase the initiation, duration and exclusivity of breastfeeding
- Reduce the consumption of high energy-dense foods
- Decrease screen time
A steering committee guides the efforts of five work groups representing health care, schools, community, worksites and child care. These work groups are comprised of public and private partners working together to make the healthy choice the easy choice in the state of Utah.