Help us prevent one million heart attacks and strokes by 2017
Million Hearts® is a national initiative to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017. Million Hearts® brings together communities, health systems, nonprofit organizations, federal agencies, and private-sector partners from across the country to fight heart disease and stroke.
$5000 Million Hearts home blood pressure monitoring grants to promote team based care and improve your patients' blood pressure.
EPICC is looking for primary care clinics to implement intervention-based self-monitoring. Self-monitoring would include participation in collaborative learning providing an opportunity for clinics to share their successes, and discuss their challenges. We anticipate partnering with as many as 10 clinics providing a $5,000 grant to each clinic. Partner clinics may use up to $1,000 of the grant to purchase blood pressure monitors. Should fewer clinics apply, additional funds will be allocated to each clinic. Application submission deadline is May 1, 2017.
Utah Million Hearts Coalition
The Utah Million Hearts Coalition, in conjunction with the national Million Hearts initiative, aims to prevent heart attacks and strokes by improving clinical blood pressure measurement in Utah through accurate blood pressure measurement and control.
Partners include the Utah Department of Health EPICC Program, Intermountain Healthcare, University of Utah, American Heart Association, HealthInsight, Local Health Departments, private providers, Utah Health Information Network, Utah Medical Association.
The Coalition meets monthly. Please contact Kelly Robinson at (801) 538-6295 for more information.
What We’re Doing
- Phase 1: Phase 1 is now complete. A statewide needs assessment has been completed which determined the greatest needs of primary care clinics.
- Phase 2: We are currently providing clinics with innovative tools and resources based on assessment results, including a Million Hearts hypertension webinar to provide physicians and clinic staff with up-to-date hypertension guidelines.
- Phase 3: Annual recognition of clinics demonstrating excellence in blood pressure measurement
For more information regarding the assessment, to see results, or to learn how to participate please contact Kelly Robinson at (801) 538-6295.
- The 2016 Million Hearts Awards have been presented and we're preparing to accept applications for the next round of awards coming in 2017. You can find additional information here as it becomes available.
Congratulations 2016 Million Hearts Champions!
This year, the Utah Million Hearts Coalition recognized 13 primary care clinics as champions in blood pressure measurement and control. These clinics have met the highest standards of blood pressure measurement and control through proven evidence-based strategies including patient education on how lifestyle choices impact blood pressure, precise measurement of blood pressure, engaging patients with a treatment plan to improve medication adherence, fully utilizing the electronic health record for hypertension care and working as a team to ensure positive outcomes for patients with hypertension.
The Utah Million Hearts Coalition applauds the achievements of these clinics and encourages all clinics to utilize the resources available through the Utah Million Hearts Coalition and national Million Hearts Initiative. Together we can prevent one million heart attacks and strokes by 2017 through outstanding blood pressure measurement and control.
- University of Utah Health Care, Hypertension Clinic
- EHR Cardiac Measures Report Guide: A Guide for Measuring and Improving Cardiac Measures in an Electronic Health Record (PDF)
- HBP Fact Sheet
- Public Health Indicator Based Information System (IBIS)