Diabetes Practice Recommendations
Note: The Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations was last updated 2012. That is the last update, they will not be updated again. The reason for this is programmatic direction change. Beginning July 1, 2014 these recommendations will be taken off our website and you will be redirected to the National Clinical Practice Recommendations.
- Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations (PDF) and Utah DPRR Addendum with Updates for 2012 (PDF)
- American Diabetes Association (ADA) Clinical Practice Recommendations 2014
The EPICC Program recognizes the importance of optimizing care for patients with diabetes. In promoting this objective, the Diabetes Prevention and Control Program (now, EPICC Program) organized a panel of interested health care professionals to develop the Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations for Adults 2012 (UDPR). The recommendations are intended to foster current diabetes care practices, and to provide useful outlines to guide health care professionals in the screening, diagnosing, and appropriate management of people with diabetes. The materials in the Diabetes Practice Recommendations (DPR) build upon and complement national and regional diabetes protocols. Members of the DPR Panel have identified decision points to assist clinicians in providing consistent and appropriate diabetes care for their patients. More...
Download and print each PDF section:
- Section 1: Introduction (website)
- Adult Management (PDF)
- Section 2: Summary of 2012 Updates (website)
- Section 3: Key Treatments (website)
- Hyperclycemia Management (PDF)
- Section 4: Frequency (website)
- Children and Diabetes (PDF)
- Comprehensive Foot Exam (PDF)
- Report of Eye Exam (PDF)
- Tobacco Quitline Referral Form (PDF)
- Treatment Targets 2011 (PDF)
- Already have the 2011 print edition? Download the 2012 Addendum here.
Provider Talking Points
- Medical Nutrition Therapy for People with Diabetes (PDF)
- Physical Activity and Diabetes (PDF)
- Tobacco and Diabetes (PDF)
- Section 2 - Diabetes Management in Pregnancy
(PDF 169KB) (April 2009)
- Section 3 - Hyperglycemia Management for Inpatients
(PDF 145KB) (June 2009)
- Section 4 - Management of Children and Adolescents with Diabetes
(PDF 206KB) (September 2007)
The Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations (UDPR) for adults were revised in 2004 and updated in 2009. In addition, the Diabetes in Pregnancy and Hyperglycemia Management for Inpatient sections were added in 2005 and updated in 2006. In 2007, a section was added on Management of Children and Adolescents with Diabetes. All recommendations are supported by the ADA Clinical Practice Recommendations.
The UDPR, while outlining a general course of action for the majority of patients, do not substitute for informed clinical judgment on the exact course of treatment for individual patients.
- Yale Intravenous Insulin Protocal (PDF)
- Directory of Approved Diabetes Education Programs (PDF)
- Consent Forms for the Use of Glyburide and Lantus in Gestational Diabetes (PDF)
- Recommendation for Diabetes Foot Exams (PDF)
- Patient Advisory for A1C (PDF)
- Family History and Diabetes for Health Care Professionals (PDF)
Please use the following citation when recognizing any portion of the Utah Diabetes Practice Recommendations:
Healthy Living Through Environment, Policy and Improved Clinical Care (EPICC) Program. (Year, Month). (Insert appropriate section - without parenthesis). Diabetes Practice Recommendations. Salt Lake City, UT: Utah Department of Health.