As Childcare providers you have one of the most important and tough jobs in the world! You matter and make a difference in children’s lives. Childhood Obesity is a big problem and everyone has a role in preventing it. Child care facilities can provide a healthy environment for children by promoting:
What do you feel is a child care provider’s role in preventing childhood obesity?
What Can You Do?
Learn how to promote healthy eating habits, increase physical activity and support breastfeeding families to:
- Participate in our TOP Star Program: Teaching Obesity Prevention in Childcare Settings. Learn more about TOP Star.
- Participate in the national Let’s Move! Child Care Initiative. Learn more about Let’s Move!
- Take advantage of valuable Resources.
Preschools, Childcare Centers and Homes
- Early childhood is an ideal time to influence children’s food acceptance and lifelong healthy habits.
- Children are more likely to eat fruits and vegetables when they are involved in growing the food, making food selections and meal planning.
- Visit Grow It, Try It, Like It! For more preschool garden theme ideas.
- Visit Got Dirt? A toolkit that can apply to creating school gardens in Utah.
- By reducing screen time and increasing physical activity children are more likely to be a healthy weight.
- Following breastfeeding recommendations provides the necessary nutrition for children’s development, provides immune protection and reduces chronic disease.