Chronic Disease/Self Management
Living Well with Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program is a workshop given two and a half hours, once a week, for six weeks, in community settings such as senior centers, churches, libraries and hospitals. People with different chronic health problems attend together. Workshops are facilitated by two trained leaders, one or both of whom are non-health professionals with a chronic diseases themselves.
Subjects covered include:
- Techniques for frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise to maintain and improve strength
- Appropriate use of medications and proper nutrition
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- How to evaluate new treatments